Wednesday, February 20, 2008

perseverence

Today was not the best of days for me. I was recently rejected for something which I had sought quite diligently, and had prepared myself quite extensively for. Naturally, upon my rejection, I became upset. However, after having spoken to my father and reminiscing about his past rejections, it made me think on his situation.

For those who know me personally, and my family, they will know that when we moved here my father was rejected quite a few times from obtaining his residency. Even though he was promised, in fact he even received an acceptance letter - only to be denied based on a made up technicality that did not exist. Even through all of those struggles which he faced along with my mother, he never once gave up. You see, he is a physician. Now he has completed his residency (first time was in Sweden), and is finishing up his fellowship. He is one very smart man. But above all, he has an incredible knack for being stubborn, for going after that which is denied to him. He showed tremendous will power for 6 years! His strength came from within as well as from without. My mother was always encouraging him. Some might call her naive for her blind faith in the unseen. I on the other hand call her a woman with an iron will, but with the touch of a feather. She kept him strong, kept him away from despair, and he in turn never once gave up. Along the way he received help from strangers, friends, and relatives.

Thinking back to those days of uncertainty, I can only draw strength from it. Perseverance is a word that some easily throw around, or use on brochures to inspire people. Rarely does one find a living example that one has witnessed first hand of what perseverance truly means.

Perseverance means to truly never give up, and always have your goal crystal clear in front of you. If you fight to reach it, and want and believe in it with your heart and soul, then, and only then will you receive that which you ask for.

Until my next post,

Never give up, never surrender!

No comments: